- Summer Communications & Marketing Intern (posted on 4/24/2019)
- Boat Captain/Facility Technician (posted on 4/10/2019)
- Part-Time Event Assistant (posted 4/5/2019)
The Communications and Marketing Intern will assist the Coalition’s Engagement team in creating engaging written and multimedia content for the organization’s website, social media accounts, and print publications. The intern will play an important role in helping the Coalition promote our work and to grow Discover Buzzards Bay, our directory of places to go and things to do around Buzzards Bay, which seeks to get people outside and engaged with their environment. (Download full job description)
- Incoming high school senior or higher education required
- Excellent writing skills
- Must be personable, self-motivated, and work both independently and as a team
- Computer skills: Microsoft Office, Google Docs, and web research
- Social media experience (Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter) preferred
- Interest or experience in photography a plus
- WordPress experience, or other website platform experience, a plus
Schedule and Compensation
This is a part time, temporary, unpaid position, commencing on or after May 6, 2019. The schedule is expected to be approximately 20 hours per week through the end of the summer, with flexible hours and end date. The position reports to Claudia Geib, Discover Buzzards Bay Editor.
To apply, please send a resume with references, cover letter, and 1-2 writing samples via email to Claudia Geib.
The Boat Captain/Facility Technician is responsible for routine maintenance and repair of the various facilities owned and operated by the Coalition and the safe operation and maintenance of the 27-foot R/V Buzzards Baykeeper®. Facilities currently owned and operated by the Coalition include: headquarters office in downtown New Bedford, Horseneck Point Life-Saving Station in Westport, Marion Science and Field Operations Center, Onset Bay Center (currently under construction), Woods Hole satellite office, Cuttyhunk boat waste pumpout station (open seasonally), two residences in New Bedford and Acushnet, and small barns. (Download the full position description)
Location: Marion Science & Field Operations Center
- Five years of experience with building systems operations and maintenance.
- Demonstrated boat handling, seamanship, and basic vessel maintenance experience, including a minimum of 5 years of experience operating a similar size and type of vessel and a minimum of 2 years of experience operating in coastal waters in the northeast, familiarity with Buzzards Bay a plus.
- Navigational skills must include the ability to navigate by GPS system and radar.
- Ability to perform duties with minimal supervision and solve problems as they arise.
- Good communications skills – polite and courteous with volunteers and boat owners and able to communicate effectively with service providers when corrective maintenance is beyond the basic skill level.
- Must possess basic knowledge of building code requirements.
- Must have basic computer operating skills: working knowledge of e-mail, word processing, and Excel spreadsheets.
- Must have and maintain a valid Massachusetts driver’s license and reliable transportation.
Schedule and Compensation
This three-quarters-time (approximately 32 hours/week) position reports to the President and works closely with the Director of Monitoring Programs. From May through September, the Boat Captain/Facility Technician’s schedule will include early morning water quality sampling (including some weekend days). Compensation commensurate with ability.
Please send a resume, cover letter, and references to the attention of Mark Rasmussen, President via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Event Assistant will help in putting on the Coalition’s signature annual outdoor fundraising events including the Buzzards Bay Swim and Buzzards Bay Watershed Ride. Duties include, but are not limited to: participant recruitment, database upkeep, customer service via email and phone, fundraising coaching, and various support tasks and logistical responsibilities including errands, cleaning, sorting, labeling and packing of supplies and equipment. (Download the full position description)
Location: New Bedford office and Marion Science & Field Operations Center
- High school diploma or equivalent required and at least two years of college preferred
- Ability to interact successfully with a variety of staff, volunteers, and Coalition members
- Must be personable, self-motivated, and work independently and as a team
- Computer skills: Microsoft Office with advanced skills in Word, Excel, and internet/email.
- Database management experience preferred
- Position requires working some weekends
- Because of work with the public, this position is subject to a criminal background check
Schedule and Compensation
This is a part-time, temporary, at-will position, commencing on or after May 6, 2019. The hours of this position are variable, based on need, and include some weekend hours. The schedule is expected to be approximately 20 hours per week through mid-July 2019 with a maximum of 10 weeks. Extended hours will be required the week of June 17-22 including the day of the Swim on Saturday, June 22. Two other half-day Saturdays will be required on Saturday, June 8 and Saturday, June 16. The position reports to Deborah Hood, Event Manager.
Compensation for this position is $15/hr. No health insurance or other benefits are available.
Please send a resume, cover letter, and references via email to Deborah Hood.