Wareham, MA 02558
The Onset Bay Center is pleased to host the 8-hour Boat America course in partnership with the US Coast Guard Auxiliary. This course is a boating certificate class that offers an in-depth and interesting boating safety course, and provides the knowledge needed to obtain a boating certificate.
Topics covered are:
- Introduction to Boating – Types of power boats, boating vocabulary, sailboats, paddle boats, powering boats, and engine types.
- Boating Law – Boat registration, regulations, hull identification numbers, required safety equipment, Federal boating law, state boating law, and reporting accidents.
- Safety Equipment – Life jackets, fire extinguishers, sound-producing devices, visual distress signals, anchors, and other safety equipment.
- Safe Operation and Navigation – Buoys and beacons, aids to navigation, navigation rules, docking, and the dangers of alcohol on the water.
- Boating Emergencies – Hypothermia, boating accidents, man overboard, capsizing, emergency radio calls, carbon monoxide dangers, and weather.
- Trailering – Types of trailers, lights, hitches, towing a trailer.
- Sports and Boating – Water-skiing, hunting and hunting gear, PWC operation, and other boating tips.
This course will be broken up into three evening sessions on 10/20, 10/27, and 11/3 from 5 PM to 7:30 PM. Attendance for all three sessions are required. The certificate will be issued to each participant after they successfully pass a brief exam.
Questions? Please contact Kat Garofoli at 508-999-6363 ext. 227.
Cost: $10 for materials