Plymouth, MA 02360
Spend winter vacation discovering the outdoors with your kids at Winter Vacation Family Explorations, a series of two free outings on Thursday and Friday of winter vacation hosted by the Buzzards Bay Coalition and the Wareham Land Trust. Through fun games and hands-on activities, your whole family will learn about animals, plants, and habitats in the Buzzards Bay region in winter.
Winter Vacation Family Explorations is recommended for families with elementary school-aged children. We encourage you to attend all programs, but it is not required.
- Nature Exploration and Poetry (Tuesday, Dec. 26): Join us on a short hike through a forest and meadow to gather some inspiration from the beautiful scenery at The Sawmill! Then, you and your family can learn to write simple poetry inspired by your hike.
- Orienteering (Wednesday, Dec. 27): Learn how to properly use a tool that is almost 2,000 years old: the compass! Once you’ve learned the basics, test out your skills to solve a riddle that takes you through the trail at The Bogs. After today, you may never get lost again!
- Wonders of Water (Thursday, Dec. 28): Water is wonderful! Join us at The Sawmill for some cool science experiments that are all done with water. With each experiment, we will learn about some of the amazing properties of water and how they make life possible.
- Birding (Thursday, Dec. 28): Create your own bird feeder, which will help feed local birds spending their winter in the chilly Buzzards Bay region! You and your family will also learn how to identify various birds by sound and sight at the Lyman Reserve.
- Geocaching Treasure Hunt (Friday, Dec. 29): What’s geocaching? Discover this fun treasure hunt using your smartphone to explore the outdoors. On this miniature geocache course, you can fine-tune your adventure skills and search for hidden prizes at Horseshoe Mill.