The Event Manager is responsible for all aspects of planning and implementation for the Buzzards Bay Coalition’s diverse mix of outdoor fundraising events, most notably the Buzzards Bay Swim and the Watershed Ride. S/he will join a dynamic and growing fundraising team and will play a pivotal role in meeting Strategic Plan goals for expanding community awareness and support. The Event Manager drives all event marketing, participant recruitment, and sponsorship solicitations, as well as all levels of planning, scheduling, and logistics coordination for events that engage hundreds of athletes, volunteers, and spectators.
The ideal candidate is a high-energy team player with more than 3 years of marketing and event coordination experience, excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and a passion for the environment and Buzzards Bay. The position is full-time (40 hours/week) and reports to the Vice President, Operations.
Download the full position description.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan and manage the Coalition’s signature fundraising events: the Buzzards Bay Swim and the Watershed Ride fundraisers.
- Meet Strategic Plan goals for community awareness and support by growing fundraising events to 1,000 participants; meet the 5-year Strategic Plan’s annual income growth goals. Take responsibility for planning growth strategies, measuring success, and continuously improving return on investment for Coalition events.
- Plan and manage an annual Golf Outing & Cocktail Party fundraiser at the Bay Club at Mattapoisett, including marketing and participant recruitment, volunteer committee management, and auction item and prize solicitation—to meet annual income growth goals in the context of a 5-year plan.
- Develop and launch a new spring outdoor fundraising event to complement the Swim and Ride.
- Develop and implement multi-channel marketing strategies to maximize event participation and support organizational goals for outreach and awareness. Write, and coordinate content and design, for direct mail, email, web and other communications. Develop incentive strategies to grow participant fundraising.
- Develop and manage a year-long cycle of corporate sponsorship solicitations.
- Manage the Development Assistant, in partnership with the Membership Director.
- Recruit and manage a corps of volunteers to maximize efficiency in event delivery throughout the year.
- Develop and manage a year-long solicitation program for in-kind donations to secure auction items, event production goods and services, and incentive prizes.
- Support development of expense budgets, track expenses, and ensure events are implemented within budget.
- Other duties as assigned.
- At least three years of project management skills required; special event management experience strongly preferred. Non-profit experience helpful.
- Excellent marketing writing and communications skills. Experience crafting fundraising solicitations, electronic communications, and marketing collateral preferred.
- Ability to anticipate project needs, set priorities/schedules, and meet deadlines.
- Bachelor's degree, or equivalent professional experience.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office required. Experience in donor database management preferred, particularly with Blackbaud's RaisersEdge and NetCommunity programs. Graphic design and HTML experience a plus.
- An enthusiastic commitment to the conservation mission of the Buzzards Bay Coalition.
- An energetic and positive demeanor and demonstrated ability to work easily and effectively with a wide range of people.
- An innovative thinker who is results orientated, has an entrepreneurial attitude, and loves special events, particularly outdoor sporting events.
- Exceptional organizational skills, follow-through, attention to detail, quality orientation, and ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Willingness to work differing hours and occasionally on weekends and evenings.
Qualified candidates should e-mail a cover letter and resume to Maureen Coleman, Vice-President of Operations, at email@example.com.