Training Decision Makers
The Buzzards Bay Coalition provides an annual workshop series for decision makers in government, business and agriculture. These workshops provide real-world solutions for people whose daily decisions affect the health of Buzzards Bay and the local environment.
2014 Decision Makers Workshops
Construction and Clean Water
A three-part workshop series that will provide solutions for protecting clean water resources – including drinking water, rivers, streams, and coastal waters – while supporting responsible real estate development.
How to Plan for Clean Water in Real Estate Development
Wednesday, April 2 • 8:30am-2pm
|Who Should Attend?
Decision Makers Workshops are open to anybody who wishes to attend. But they are particularly beneficial for:
- Town boards (selectmen, health, conservation, harbor/marine/clean water, etc.)
- Town staff (wastewater facility staff, town planners, conservation agents, health agent)
- State or regional planning or environmental staff
- Private business professionals (engineers, septic installers, landscapers, farmers)
- Independent audiences (homeowners, nonprofit staff and board members)
Find out how you can protect clean water when planning development at all scales, from a single home to an entire community.
- Thinking About Clean Water and Development: Anne Kitchell, Senior Environmental Planner, LEED AP, Horsley Witten Group
- Strategies for Urban Communities: Pallavi Kalia Mande, Director of Blue Cities, Charles River Watershed Association
- Strategies for Suburban and Rural Communities: Kurt Gaertner, Director of Sustainable Development, Massachusetts Executive Office of Energy & Environmental Affairs
Buzzards Bay Center (114 Front Street, New Bedford)
Building Techniques and Technologies that Protect Clean Water
Wednesday, April 16 • 8:30am-2pm
Get details on the latest techniques and technologies for protecting clean water in residential or commercial development.
- The Toolbox for Clean Water Construction: Robert Roseen, PhD and P.E. Geosyntec Consulting
- Implementing Techniques and Technologies: Presentations on Green Roofs, Rain Gardens, and Around the Home
Marion Music Hall (164 Front Street, Marion)
Keeping Clean Water in Your Community
Wednesday, April 30 • 8:30am-2pm
Learn innovative techniques for meeting stormwater requirements, protecting marine resources, and managing green spaces.
- Solving the Stormwater Management Puzzle: Joe Costa, Executive Director, Buzzards Bay National Estuary Project
- Protecting Marine Resources: Neil Churchill, Marine Fisheries Biologist, Massachusetts Dept. of Fish & Game
- Clean Water Landscaping: Mike Talbot, Ecological Lawn Care
UMass Cranberry Station (1 State Bog Road, East Wareham)